Yo Gabba Gabba Party

The Kiddo's Yo Gabba Gabba Party was this weekend and I must confess that I am so relieved that it is finally over.  I put so much planning into these little parties that the suspense ends up just about killing me.  Now that it is over, I can focus on the holidays and our upcoming adoption party.

The highlight of the party was without a doubt this beautiful cake.  I found this idea online here and had a local baker, George the Cake Guy,  recreate it.  It was absolutely perfect and better than the original.  I was quite demanding with my OCD requests about straight lines and he definitely delivered. And it was delicious!
I just can't get enough of this cute little Brobee Cake!
Earlier this year, I sketched a few mock-up designs for my party, and I must admit that I did not end up sticking to any of them.  I altered my plans quite a bit, as some colors just weren't working. In some areas, there were just too many colors together that nothing looked cohesive.  I ended up not using any of the original banners that I designed specifically for this party.  Never again will I do a party with so many different colors.  I ended up keeping the food table limited to mostly greens and reds with  a little blue.  I didn't provide very many sweets since we were holding this the weekend after Halloween.
I used two of my YGG subway art designs to flank the cake.  I opted for a simple cucumber and broccoli tray instead of making the Veggie Brobee that I had originally planned.  
I also used strawberries and pineapple for a simple colorful fruit tray. Red and white swirl suckers from Oriental Trading Company and Twizzlers finished out my design. I also provided some striped straws for people's drinks. However, most people thought they were sugar straws and stuck them in their goodie bags. They were probably disappointed when they got home.

These character poms were supposed to be over the food table, but I just wasn't digging the color mash-up. I thought they fit best above the goodie bag table.  They were a bit of a pain to hang, since the faces on the front made them front heavy. We ended up having to fill the creases with pennies to balance them out.
I hung another YGG graphic that I created centered above the goodie bag table.  I put the beanie babies on cake platters and let the kid's choose their own.  I also let them choose a couple of other items as well.  My main reasoning for doing this was that I wanted the bracelets to go only to girls. I also kept the rubber balls separate since we had so many younger children at this party and they can be a choking hazard.
Here is a picture of most of the poms behaving and facing forward.
Here is a view of the mantel and living room area.  I stuck with plain orange poms instead of the "DJ Lance" ones that I had made.  I used scrapbook paper to make the orange and blue pennant bunting. I designed a personalized YGG style subway art for my mantel centerpiece and flanked it with orange and aqua frames that I got on sale at Hobby Lobby.  Balloons made it complete.
Here is a closer look at the mantel...
This other table was an area for guests to sign My Kiddo's photo matte, so that I could display it in her room.  We did this last year and it was a great idea.  However, this year I forgot to frame the matte beforehand, which means that people signed all the way to the edges.  I guess I will now have to find a bigger  matte to matte this one into a bigger frame.  Oh, and of course some more YGG art!
All of the children had a great time and the weather held out long enough for us to enjoy all of our planned outdoor activities. I am now officially the mother of a two-year old.  Lord help me! Check out my other YGG Party related posts here.  

Comments