Yummy Pork Tonkatsu: My Mommy's Style

Growing up, this was one of my favorite meals. For those that don't know me, I love Japanese cuisine and My Mom's is the best!  She is also the cutest little Japanese lady I know!  I always look forward to her visits.  I can just become a kid again, waiting at the table for mama's cooking!
For this recipe you will need:

Tonkatsu
Pork Tenderloin
1-2 Eggs
Flour
Panko Bread Crumbs
Salt 
Pepper
Vegetable Oil

Slaw Side:
Cabbage (Shredded)
Salt 
Pepper
1 Lemon

Garnish and Additional Side
Tomato cut in quarters
Rice

Sauce:
Spicy Mustard
Soy Sauce

Directions:
Take tenderloin and cut off any unwanted fat. Then cut into fillets about one inch thick and whatever length you would like. Use a meat tenderizer and pound the heck out of them to tenderize them and thin them out a bit. Then sprinkle salt and pepper on each side of the pork. Set two pans out. One with your flour, the other with your Panko bread crumbs. Beat 1-2 eggs in a medium size bowl.  First, coat both sides of the pork in flour. Then dip them in beaten egg and coat the pork on both sides with Panko. 

Once that is done you are ready to fry. Deep-fry at medium-high heat  for about 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of your meat.  Be sure to turn at least once to ensure even cooking and color. Tonkatsu should be golden brown. Serve on rice.

For the slaw, you will need to shred your cabbage and rinse it really well.  After that, add salt and pepper to taste. Next you will need to add lemon juice to taste.  Please use a real lemon and not the bottled stuff.  It just isn't the same. Garnish the slaw with your tomatoes.

For the sauce, I just mix regular brown spicy mustard and soy sauce to my taste preferences.  Sorry that I don't have any measurements to offer. That is just the way I cook! Hope you enjoy this lil' bit of Japanese cooking!

Comments